We are headed to Massanetta Springs Middle School Conference on Thursday June 22nd! Keep reading to get all the details!
Leadership We are very grateful for Catherine Bragg and Grace Cain (2 of last year’s 6th & 7th Grade Girls Small Group Leaders) for literally making this trip possible through their leadership! Our male leader is Staff Associate for Youth Ministry Matt Wiggins.
Departure We will gather behind the Congregation House at 8:30 am on 6/22, load our stuff on the van, take a picture, say a prayer, and then be on our way! It’s 5 hours to Massanetta Springs so bring a lunch and we’ll stop for a rest area picnic.
Technology The best thing about these trips is shedding the distractions of every day life so we can see God even more clearly! And as we are all focused on God we see our community come together in very profound ways. While phones and other screen technology entertain and keep us connected to others, they also scatter that focus on God and community that we’re trying to build. That is why we are going to ask all youth to leave them at home and all adults to limit their phone use to emergencies and family obligations. Questions or concerns related to phones/other technology? Please speak to me before the trip. There will be no exceptions to the technology policy unless they have been discussed prior to our departure.
Housing We will be staying all together in the beautiful Virginia Cottage (as seen in the picture).
A typical day at the conference
8:00-9:00 am Breakfast
9:00-10:45 am Theme Presentations
11:00-12:30 pm Workshops
12:30-1:30 pm Lunch
1:45-3:15 pm Afternoon Recreation
3:30-5:00 pm Free Time
5:00-6:00 pm Dinner
6:00-7:15 pm Theme Presentations
7:30-9:00 pm Workshops
9:15-10:30 pm Fun for everyone!
10:30-11:00 pm Back Home Devos
11:15 pm Lights out/Curfew
Return We will be leaving ‘Netta on June 25th after morning worship (around 11 am), stopping at Wendy’s for lunch (bring money!), and hopefully arriving back at DCPC between 5-5:30 pm. Adults will pass around their phones so youth can let parents know our exact ETA.
Money The only thing youth will need money for is lunch on the way home. Youth can bring money if they would like to contribute to offering at closing worship (which will help provide scholarships for others to come to ‘Netta) and/or purchase snacks or souvenirs.
- Bible, pen/pencil, and notebook
- 1 white t-shirt (100% cotton) to tie-dye
- Clothing for warm weather play
- We will be involved in high energy activities and the following won’t be permitted: spaghetti strap tank tops, tube tops, halter tops, midriff exposing tops, short shorts, low riding shorts or pants, dresses
- Swimsuit and towels
- Do not bring bikinis or revealing bathing suits
- Water bottle
- 1 pair of close-toed shoes
- Jacket, sweater, or sweatshirt
- Raincoat or umbrella
- Any necessary medication
- Lunch for the drive to ‘Netta
- Favorite snack to share
- Camera and device for video recording
Do not bring
- Lots of money, valuables, family heirlooms, or plants in hanging baskets
- Skateboards, scooters, rollerskates, or rollerblades
- Alcohol, tobacco products, or illegal drugs
- Cell phones, tablets, laptops, gaming devices, LCD TVs 60″ or larger
- Laser pointers
- Weapons of any kind