Update for June 10th
June 14th will be our big day to celebrate the class of 2020! Here’s what’s happening and how you can congratulate and encourage them:
- Worship Seniors will be liturgists, vocalists, and preachers at the 9:45 am service that will be premiered on YouTube. This service will feature prerecorded content. The 11 am service will be live streamed from the sanctuary and feature Carlton & Sydney’s prerecorded sermons with music and liturgy done by old people 🙂
- Class of 2020 Parade Seniors and their families will be lined up along the sidewalk in front of the sanctuary from 2-3 pm on the 14th and the congregation will be invited to parade past and share congratulations and encouragement. Since this is an in-person activity, we ask everyone to be mindful of staying 6 feet apart and avoiding physical contact. Here’s a map to help it all make sense:
Hope to see everyone there!
While many of our youth and families have experienced some sort of loss during our shelter-at-home season, we especially want to acknowledge the loss of commencements, proms, trips, and graduation parties that are unique to the Class of 2020. Many of our DCPC Youth traditions during the spring and summer involve sending them off with blessing and encouragement and we are also lamenting the fact that those traditions are upended. While we wait for the resumption of more normal life, we are excited to be celebrating and equipping the Class of 2020 with some new things that will work in this season:
- This spring, juniors and seniors split from regular Youth Group to do a series called Before You Go to help prepare them for life and faith after high school. The author of that series, Gerald Fadayomi, is being incredibly generous and is hosting Senior Sessions where he is going to hang out with and encourage our seniors by Zoom on Tuesday May 26th at 8:15 pm. We’ll send out more details on that closer to the date.
- He also worked with college freshmen to create a 28 day devotional called Almost There that is meant for seniors as they wrap up high school. We would love to send a copy to anyone who wants it! Just let us know. Almost There is available on Amazon’s Kindle Store.
- Journey Sunday & Youth Sunday are now combined into one Sunday on June 14th. Seniors will preach and read scripture and we will recognize graduates as well in our streaming worship service that day. More details will follow on that as well.
- We have been reaching out to seniors to ask them what are the most important ways we celebrate them each spring so we will know where to put our energy and creativity this summer.
We are asking families of seniors to help us be prepared to recognize them in worship on 6/14 by filling out this form.